Friday, November 26, 2010

Her name

I don't know that I've ever posted Kayla's birth name here. Before passing court, our agency had asked that we not post it, but now that she's legally ours, I think I can--for inquiring minds.

Her given name is Habtame. It is pronounced Hob-TA-may (at least that's how I've heard it). We will be keeping this as her middle name once we readopt her in Wisconsin. When we come home, her legal name will be Habtame Christopher Meehan. Once we readopt, she will be Kayla Habtame Meehan. We always knew that our first daughter's name would be Kayla, but never really settled on a middle name. Keeping her given name seems like a perfect idea to us, though. It is the name that her mommy gave her and I want to honor that. It is a way to keep some of her heritage and culture in her life. Also, it not an uncommon name in Ethiopia and if she ever wants to identify more with other Ethiopians, she can always go by her middle name. It means "wealthy woman", but this has nothing to do with finances. It has to do more with richness of life overall--spiritually, family, etc...

So, there you have it. Now you know her name!

2 comments:

SaraLyons said...

Beautiful! I love it:)

Tara K said...

And it brought tears to my eyes. I love the idea of keeping it as a big part of her life. It will always ultimately be who she is, no matter what