Tuesday, October 12, 2010

10 and what I've learned

You know what the 10 is for--we're getting so close! But, what have I learned through this entire process? Last night, Chris asked me why I think we've been so financially blessed lately. We had a good conversation. I don't believe we've just been blessed financially lately. God has always provided more than we have needed even when we've been in positions where we should have struggled and the numbers still don't add up. He made a way. We have always had more than enough. This adoption has been no different.

When we agreed that the time was right to adopt (finally!), we definitely felt the Lord's urging towards Ethiopia. We followed that path. We asked Him to be involved in every part of the process, but we just took over with the finances. I just assumed that because God had been so faithful to us that we could make the money part work and we could have. I had a plan (I always have plan). But, then the whole 2nd trip got thrown at us and I knew that God would have to provide for that, so I let go of that control and gave it up to Him. Let me tell you, THAT was the right choice. It was like God was screaming at me..."You foolish girl. Why would I lay it on your heart to bring one of my children into your home so that I can pour my grace over her just to leave you in debt?" You see, I truly believe that God calls all believers to care for the orphan, but not necessarily through adoption. However, He called Chris and I to adopt. We are following that calling and have been faithful to God with our finances all of our marriage. God has blessed us over and over and over again. This adoption has been no different. God asked us to adopt, He didn't ask us to go into debt to do it. Now, I understand that and I am so grateful for it.

Of course, I've learned a few other things along the way too, but this is the one that stands out to me as I sit here with 10 days left before I go on the most amazing journey of my life.

No comments: