Friday, September 17, 2010

Buying stuff

I've been really in to buying stuff lately. Stuff for our baby girl and stuff for our trip. I've surprised myself with the girlie things I've purchased, but I love it all! I bought her blankies that have pink in them--though they're not mainly pink. I bought her loads of headbands with flower clips. She has no hair, so I need something to make her look like a girl and she will. I bought her some shoes--little Robeez--for when we bring her home. I don't know what size shoes she'll need, so Robeez seemed like a good way to go.

Earlier this week, Chris and I also made a trip to Target to pick up all the toiletries, snacks and meds we'll need for our little trip. We didn't need much, I want to take as little as possible so that we can pack everything needed in our carry-ons and leave the big suitcases for donations, but we needed a few things. Now, I feel like I can get packing.

We leave in 5 weeks! 5 weeks from today, we'll be headed to the airport where we will get on our first of 3 airplanes that will deliver us to Ethiopia where we will finally meet our baby girl after 6 1/2 months of knowing who she is and staring at her beautiful face in photos. I don't know how I will find the strength to get on the plane heading home--leaving her behind--but knowing that Gavin and Reily are home waiting for me will make it a little easier. Still, in between those two trips (3-12 weeks) I am certain I will be sad and cranky--this is your fair warning. Please just choose to have grace for me. I've already had to leave one baby behind and I know I didn't do well with that. Having Gavin in the NICU for his first 17 days of life was awful. I'm expecting this to feel similar, but to last much longer. I hope we fall somewhere in between the 3-12 week projected range for our return trip (like 5-7 weeks would be great!). But, who knows?!? We could be bringing her home in December, could be January. Lord, help me if it's later than that due to more paperwork glitches. I'm tired of those.

But, the best part of all of this--we leave in 5 weeks! We will meet our daughter in 38 days. This is all finally going to happen. If you're the praying sort, please pray that this trip happens, as planned. Please pray that we have safe travels and that Gavin and Reily do well without us around. We're excited, nervous and remain cautiously optimistic.

No comments: