Monday, January 31, 2011

One Month

Well, we've been home exactly one month today. It's been an interesting month!

We celebrated Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, threw a little birthday party for Kayla and had many friends and family members over to meet our little lady. We have enjoyed many meals from friends who chose to bless us in that way. Kayla has received more gifts than we know what to do with. We've been to church twice. I had to take Kayla (and the boys) with me to work one morning. We have played, slept, worked, bonded, gotten sick, etc... Like I said, it's been an interesting month! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Kayla is a great addition to our family. I don't really feel like adding her has been a huge adjustment. Sure, we've all had to adjust, but it hasn't sent us into a tailspin or anything like that. For the most part, Kayla just fits. And, she's doing great!

Every day she exhibits some newly learned "trick". We are thrilled with her progress. Just three months ago we heard that she had no use of her legs. A couple of days ago, she started walking behind a toy and along the furniture--and she's very proud of herself, I might add. She has learned quite a bit of sign language and is even answering questions with it. Just yesterday, Chris asked her if she was hungry. She answered with the sign for "eat". That means she understood the question completely AND knew the answer. Being able to communicate with her is wonderful. I'm not sure how much English she understands, but she seems to get more and more everyday. Little brains are so amazing. Hers is particularly amazing to me. She has started giving affection without anyone asking for it. It's her choice. I LOVE that. She is back to two naps per day and still sleeps through the night. For the most part, her attachment seems to be going very well. We haven't had to stay home as much as I thought we'd have to, but we're still the only ones providing care for her and we don't leave her with anyone else yet. All in all, I'd say she's doing great! I'd give her an A. I'd give me a solid B+. Chris always lives in A+ land, well except for when I'm sick (for the 2nd day of that he gets a C-). Gavin gets an A (he's doing great, but drives me a little nuts with always wanting to be close to her, so no +). Reily is going to get a B+. He lost his place as the baby and we knew he'd struggle more than Gavin, but I expected him to operate at about D level, so a B+ is great! We'll take it.

Month one has been good. I hope the rest look like this.


No comments: