Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Do you know...

what you were doing a year ago today? I do! I went to work. I came home so that Chris could go to work. My kids were napping and I was preparing to teach a Bible study group that evening (it was a Tuesday). Then, my phone rang. It was our adoption agency. I figured they were calling to tell me that our dossier was approved. Nope, the gal on the other end of the line said, "We have a 4 1/2 month old baby girl for you". I said, "You have a what? Really?" And, that was that. I opened my email frantically and saw some tiny, horrible quality photos of the most beautiful baby girl I had ever laid eyes on (a couple of days later we got this better copy). My heart was stolen. We had a daughter. Wouldn't you have said "yes" to this face? We did.
I called people. I tried to get out of teaching that Bible study (I just was not focused--I ended up teaching it and fortunately the group was very understanding). I finally called Chris at work--I had never done that before and wasn't sure it would be okay. He wouldn't see her face for a few hours, but he was in love once he did, as well.

It's hard to believe that was a year ago today. Sometimes it seems like yesterday and sometimes it seems like a life time ago. Getting her home was a long, arduous, nine month process. Now that she's home, it seems like she's always been here and those nine months are a distant memory. I cannot imagine my life without Kayla...or hers without us.

She's come a long way (physically, geographically and developmentally) in just 12 months. I love you, baby girl, with ALL my heart!

(ETA: If you don't remember what you were doing a year ago today, don't worry. Chris didn't have a clue either!)

2 comments:

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia said...

Happy referralversary!!! J didn't remember ours either. ;)

Unknown said...

Haha. Great memory and one you'll always have! :) That's awesome!